Participate in simulations from anywhere with ICONSnet.
ICONSnet is our Web-based simulation software. It is designed specifically to support simulation participants in their online negotiations and activities. Check out our brief video tour of ICONSnet to see how it works and learn more about some of its features.
Each simulation uses a selection of online ICONSnet tools. The combination of tools depends on the particular simulation and the needs and objectives of the client. ICONSnet is used to support our simulation exercises with government, the private sector, non-profits, researchers, and educators.
- This feature houses all the relevant simulation materials, including a scenario document with background information on the issues and participants involved. Some simulations also provide detailed role sheets while others require significant research using the ICONS online Research Library.
- This communication feature, similar to an email system, allows participants to engage in dialogue with each other "in character" in an effort to make progress on the issues they face in the simulation.
- My Team
- An intra-team communication tool called My Team aids in a team's planning and organization activities throughout the simulation.
- This real-time communication feature allows the facilitator to schedule blocks of time for synchronous, real-time online discussion of a specific simulation topic. This tool shares some similarities with an instant messaging or chat system.
- Proposal Center
- An area for participants to craft, review, sponsor, and vote on proposal plans which they design to address the issues presented in the simulation scenario.
- Teams can take unilateral actions or undertake moves within the simulation that could alter the group relationships and influence the negotiation atmosphere. Taking an action may trigger an alert to all participants informing them of the action taken, and sometimes, describing the consequence of the move.
- Pre-loaded messages available for facilitators to send during the simulation to introduce new elements into the scenario or respond to participant activity. Injects may include news stories, intel reports, or communication from characters not represented by the participants. Sometimes, facilitators or a control team may make use of the injects tool to develop on-the-fly news or intel for participants during the simulation to add pressure, influence the negotiation, or provide additional realism.
- Social Media
- Specialized ICONS simulations make use of a tool to provide a social media-like environment where participants may need to respond to, or create, social media posts or interactions.
- A process tool to help participants organize ideas and information and track the status of items relevant to decision-making in a particular simulation.
Participants receive a username and password to access their simulation. ICONSnet is accessible from any computer with an internet connection and an up-to-date web browser. No downloads. No installations. No headaches. Here is all you will need:
- One or more Internet-connected computers or devices per team. (Optimized for desktop and laptop computers.)
- Up-to-date web browser software. (Recent Firefox, Safari, Opera, or Chrome. If using Internet Explorer, must be version 11.)
- No plug-ins or additional software required.
Special features for educational use
ICONSnet's flexible format helps instructors expand the opportunities for when, where, and how students can engage in active learning. For educational use, we offer classes the ability to produce individual student login accounts and provide instructors with a Faculty Area with administrative tools for monitoring student participation. Educators, explore the available online education simulations in the ICONS catalog and request a free scenario excerpt!
Learn more about ICONSnet
If you are interested in learning more about using ICONSnet with your agency, organization, or business, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.